I had initially titled this recipe "chorizo zucchini balls", but something about that sounded very unappealing.
This zucchini filling is to die for, it took a lot of self control to keep myself from eating it all. If I can be honest I am not a big fan on any type of stuffed vegetable; tomato’s, zucchini, bell peppers, you get the idea. But these little zucchinis are so stinking cute! We had these for dinner, but they would also be wonderful for brunch.
Chorizo Stuffed 8 Ball Zucchini
- 4 medium round zucchinis
- 2 chorizos- skin taken off and finely minced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion thinly sliced using a mandolin
- Flesh taken out of all the zucchinis and finely minced
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano- leaves removed and minced
- 1/2 cup amys medium salsa
- Pinch of berbere spice
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using a melon baller or a spoon scoop out the flesh of the zucchini
- Drizzle olive oil along with salt and pepper over the top of the zucchini and evenly coat the zucchinis using your hands.
- Place zucchini on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes
- While the zucchini is baking, heat a medium sized sauté pan on high heat. Once pan is very hot throw in the chorizo and cook until brown.
- Next add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the onions have caramelized.
- Add the zucchini flesh, oregano and the spices. Cook until the zucchini shrinks to half its size.
- Add the salsa and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the zucchini halfway with the filling, and break the egg over the top. (Don’t make the same mistake I made of over filing it and having the egg not fit on top)
- Place the zucchini back in the oven and bake at 425° for 25 minutes.
- Serve zucchini with salt, pepper, and green onion sprinkled on top.
Aren’t these so adorable?