Have you ever tried to cook asparagus and ended up over cooking it, so that when you bit into it it was mushy and stringy? Well that will never happen again, because I have the perfect recipe! It’s really easy, and the asparagus comes out tender and crisp every time! It’s the quickest side dish you could make.
Perfectly Cooked Asparagus
- Fat of choice- I used olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°, and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Rinse your asparagus and pat dry.
- Now since the bottom of the stalk is the toughest part you want to get rid of it. Take an asparagus and with one hand hold the tip and with the other hand hold the bottom of the stalk and bend it until it snaps. The part that snaps is usually too tough to eat, and so you’re left with the more tender part. Do this with all the asparagus. OR if you like you can just take the whole bunch of asparagus you have and cut about 1 or 1 1/2 inches off of the bottom of the stalks.
- Lay your asparagus out in a single layer onto the lined baking sheet and sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over it, and drizzle your fat of choice over the asparagus. Using your hands roll the asparagus back and forth to make sure its all covered in oil. Don’t use too much oil, just use enough to coat the asparagus. ~For about 30 stalks I used maybe 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Bake the asparagus in the preheated oven for exactly 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
And there you have it, perfectly cooked asparagus! There is no pan required, no blanching in cold water. And clean up is a breeze because all you do is peel off the foil and throw it away. That’s my kind of cooking. :)