- Eggs in a cup (ovos em um copo)
Eggs in a cup is something that Ruben’s parents used too always make for him when he was younger. Its eggs that have been boiled until the yoke is soft medium (I use my egg thermometer for this, or you can cook over medium heat for 10 minutes). You than peel them put them in a cup and taking a spoon you go around in circles really fast to break the egg up into little pieces. Season with salt and eat up! It sounds weird, but I promise its good. Don’t knock it till you try it.
- Chinese chicken salad
Snacks: smoothie- mango, banana, frozen cherries, coconut water ice cubes, a bit of canned coconut milk.
I know that while doing the whole30 its not recommended that you make smoothies, but it was so incredibly hot today, and I really wanted something refreshing to cool me down.
- Leftover Chinese chicken salad
Something I have wanted to make for the longest time is Chinese chicken salad. And since I had all ingredients and today was blazing hot this salad sounded like the perfect idea. All the recipes I found online for Chinese chicken salad use either honey or maple syrup. So to make it whole30 I used apple juice as a sweetener, and included diced apples in the salad as well. It gave the salad the perfect amount of sweetness.
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp. home made mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 3 tbsp. apple juice (the juice of 1/2 an apple)
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of salt and pepper
For the salad
- 2 cooked chicken breasts diced
- 2 cups thinly shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups thinly shredded green cabbage
- 2 carrots julienned, or 10 baby carrots thinly sliced.
- 10 mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions diced
- 1/2 and apple shredded or diced
- A handful of bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup toasted or raw slivered almonds (I suggest toasted, it adds a nice warmth flavor to the salad)
- In a small bowl combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk them together.
- Take all the ingredients for the salad except for the almonds and combine in a bowl. Pour the salad dressing over the top and mixed until the whole salad is covered in dressing.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, pour the almonds into the salad and mix.